1.1K views

SniperHill Internet Service provides poor quality service to US service member who are deployed to Iraq.SniperHill charges $85.00 a month from US service members for 128K internet connection.

Most of the time you can only get about 68K. There are very frequent service interuptions. SniperHill guarentees that service members can use "Skype" and other services to call home, but the bandwidth has difficulty supporting it and the calls are frequently dropped.

SniperHill should be forced to drop thier high prices or improve the quality of thier service.

Our US Service members and the civilians who support them are deployed in harm's way.They deserve better internet service than an $85.00 rip off.

Had an Experience with SniperHill?

Comments

Actually snipperhill is worse than anything, every time i need to do something the net is down, i have paid for Delta and its way too bad i don't actually know the times it work coz anytime i log in its either down or too low to perform, i wish i had bought some biscuits instead, its a complete waste of money

It is horrible how they take advantage of the Soldier's condition (deployed, away from family and friends) and make a ridiculous amount of profit from it.They are completely heartless and do Zero for the Soldier.

They have the monopoly because they managed to get contracted by AAFES. I am not sure who's hands these people shook to get the contract, or who on the inside they may know, but they need to lose this contract. I have received better service from local national contractors and better prices while serving in smaller FOBs.

It is my only hope that we are in a position that we are no longer in conflict OCONUS.

I would take a trip to Houston just to watch them go out of business.

No compete contract is just begging for quality of service to go down; no matter what part of the world your in.Tech.

is tech. It's all decent, but when you have no competition it reduces the pressure or need to improve the quality of your service. When SniperHill decides to install a system on a base, it forces us competitors to shut down all of our networks and loose all of our customers. SniperHill blows.

Anyone that says otherwise probably forgot what it was like when there were multiple service providers on each of the large FOBs.

No Compete Contracts should be illegal!

@james ..in BAF you can buy both at the cell shop at the PX ..

ensure you activate the sim for 3G service...Roshan also has 3G in BAF as well

mike where do you get the sim and usb connector!

#721911

I am at BAF, and have used both IO GLOBAL & Sniper Hill paying $85-$90 a month.I now use Etisilat through a SIM and USB connector.

USB connector was about $100 and the service is $35 for 5GB. Works great!

Much faster than my hard wired IO Global at $90 a month.nly downside is that it's not unlimited, so downloading a lot will make it go very fast.Skype workes great!

JayF

I am on a small FOB here in Afghanistan.SniperHill is not an option.

I ended up getting my own system (two 1.6m dishes and all the equipment to make a WiFi hotspot area about 1000m by 500m. I have spent over $4000.00 doing so. After paying for everything, and doing my best to keep people on here and paying their fair share ($75 for contractors and $50 for active duty) I give 170kps for contractors and 156kps for active duty. The monthly bill is $2800.00 for 2140kps down and 512kps up.

I end up loosing money every month since I am only willing to put the number of people on the system that it is designed to support. I get complaints from people all the time about "can I get a deal". "The bandwidth is too slow".... I mean seriously I am out all this money trying to make life on this little hole in the wall FOB better (my system is the only one here like this) and people are still ungrateful.

I know how hard it is to set up and maintain this system and how much it cost just for one back-haul capable wireless router ($750.00 for a cheap one).

What I am saying in a long winded way is I would love to have SniperHill here then I would only have to pay $120.00 a month for "ok" bandwidth not what I have to do here at this FOB every month.Just saying it could be worse and you could have to do what I am doing just to talk to the family back home.

to JayF Columbus, Ohio, United States #738576

I am sorry that your experience was not a positive one.However, I believe there are many VSAT services that are much less expensive than the one you purchased.

I constructed an ISP network on FOB Salerno, which directly competed with Sniper Hill's service. I had to turn people away because there were so many frustrated Sniper Hill customers. I used a Bentley Walker service as my nework backhaul and I would call it satisfactory. I setup a TS2 Idirect Infinity system(which is considered an older technology by VSAT standards) in Iraq a few years back and the network was very fast.

I had luck with DD-WRT for added funtionality on my routers/APs. It also saved me significantly on costs.

Based on the economy of scale that Sniper Hill enjoys, I just can't understand why they have such poor service.Again, I am sorry that your experience was bad, but I don't think that Sniper Hill should be given a bye because of the dificulties that you encountered.

Kabul, Kabul, Afghanistan #643609

We are in a 3rd world country in a war zone.I am just happy to internet at all.

Some of our fellow Soldiers don't even have internet outside the wire.If you are here just for internet you need to reevaluate yourselves.

Hi it's march 2013.Sniper hill still sucks in camp MARMAL don't pay 90$.

Buy the cheap service. It seems to be just as fast.

(Fast is used very loosely ) or get a haji SMS card other than ROSHAN and use that as your Internet.I do believe a congressional inquiry is needed for this blatant rip off, but as with all military contracts a congressman is involved and pulling strings to make themselves and their buddies rich.